Rick started playing for Therry Penola in the VAFA in the U/19s in 1991 as a 16 year old. Rick joined the club with brother Shaun, cousin Adam McKay and mates Adrian and Glen Baker. He also followed from his father Wayne’s involvement in the VAFA, who played for Alphington in the VAFA between 1980 and 1983 and was playing coach of Parkside AFC between 1988 and 1990.
- Although not tall and very light, Rick’s pace and skill as a rover earnt him a place in the VAFA U/19s Victorian team in 1993.
- Although still young, Rick’s work ethic and skill quickly shone through, earning him a place in the senior B grand final in 1993 (unfortunately Therry lost to Old Melbournians).
- Ricky played in West Preston’s 1996 B Grade Premiership Team, and played the 1997 season with his brother Shaun for Mooroopna, before returning to Therry for the 1998 season.
- Rick’s football highlight was playing in the 2000 C grade premiership side against Beaumaris AFC, with his older brother Shaun, younger brother Corey and great mates. Although younger brother Jordan played the first two games for Therry, he finished the season with the Calder Cannons before getting drafted by Essendon. Rick also won the best and fairest in this premiership year, and by this time was a quick, hard and very strong rover.
- Rick played a total of 233 games for Therry Penola over 21 seasons, including 17 finals. Rick will always cherish the opportunity to play with all four brothers at various times over the 21 seasons. Rick played finals in his last senior season in 2009, also playing with younger brother Corey when he kicked 100 goals that season.
- The VAFA community know Rick for his pace, incredible toughness and skill. Teammates will always know Rick for his loyalty, always having their back and for his often distasteful gags!
Rick followed in his dad's footsteps and took up boxing from a young age. His idol was Iron Mike Tyson. Rick became the Victorian Amateur boxing champion in his weight class with an undefeated record. Trained by Leo Berry, Rick was discipline, hard working and a heavy hitter. Sometimes Rick's love of boxing transgressed onto the football field :)